Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra.

Steve Pope wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>>The case of 10 pounds does matter. Loss is some combination of water
>>(icludes glycogen carbs stored by dissolving it in water), fat, lean,
>>bone and so on. Of course the loss that nearly everyone wants is fat.
>>The problem is water loss is easy to acheive, nearly impossible to
>>retain and is as much as 10 pounds in some people. When I managed to
>>estimate my water retention swing during maintenance it appeared to be 6
>>pounds that randomly comes and goes without any sign of fat lost or
>>gained.

>>The chosen threshold for sustained loss must be large enough
>>that it can not be water.

> Yes, or control for it by some other means (possibly by controlling
> sodium intake for a day or two before measuring weight).

The problem with water retention is it has sources other than sodium.
Fighting water retention is like fighting the tides. It feels good when
the tides are receeding because you tend to think what you did caused
that. But then the tides come back in again and no matter how hard you
work you can't stop it.