Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Sticker shock at the store again!

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 8/22/2011 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> "Tiger > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> On 8/19/2011 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>> > wrote in message
: >>>> ...
: >>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>> "Julie > wrote in message
: >>>>> ...
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
: >>>>>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked
: >>>>>> for
: >>>>>> them
: >>>>>> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad
: >>>>>> if
: >>>>>> they
: >>>>>> didn't get eaten.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic
: >>>>> bg
: >>>>> rise
: >>>>> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
: >>>>> mandarin,
: >>>>> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
: >>>>
: >>>> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with
: >>>> fruit.
: >>>> It's
: >>>> sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
: >>>> sliced.
: >>>> If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat
: >>>> it
: >>>> like
: >>>> that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
: >>>> couldn't
: >>>> figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do
: >>>> it. But
: >>>> I
: >>>> did to get them out of the house.
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>> cut kiwi in 1/2
: >>>
: >>> use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind
: >>>
: >>> done!!
: >>>
: >>> kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved
: >>>
: >>>
: >>>
: >> Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she
: >> wants
: >> pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would
: >> have
: >> tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut
: >> back the
: >> trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were
: >> really
: >> good pears.
: >>
: >>
: > you think pears are lower carb?
: >
: > ok

: Pears have always been kind to me. I think its a YMMV thing because I
: have always tolerated a bowl of watermelon whereas they spike some
: people very high.

Not for me. Often I eat only a quarter of oe.

Wendy