Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra.

Storrmmee > wrote:

>Well, we are not going to eat the same exact things we at as cavemen,
>but the principal has not changed as our genetics have not changed
>since then.

Why would you say our genetics has not changed since then?

Think of the following. All humans are descended from a population
of fewer than 10,000 individuals, possibly as few as 2,000, just
150,000 years ago. Since then, genetically different humans
with different food metabolisms have evolved in various areas around
the world. Thus there are Asians more subject to lactose intolerance,
Mediterraneans more subject to favism, and Native Americans with the
"thrifty gene" that makes them more subject to diabetes under a modern
diet. Most of these metabolic divergences can't be more than a
few tens of thousands of years old, and furthermore geneticists
have identified specific genetic shifts that occured after civilization
itself, relating to grain-alcohol consumption, communicable diseases,
and other factors.

It's very difficult to believe that there have not been adaptations
directly traceable to the onset of agriculture 10,000 years ago.
We are certainly much different genetically than the beginning of
the paleolithic period (750,000 years ago, or when the first stone
tool were used).

Steve