Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Doug Miller[_2_] Doug Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Fermenting seems stalled

In article >, tycarnell > wrote:
>I am making a 5 gallon batch of Rhubarb-Raspberry wine. My initial SG
>was 1.10 after removing pulp bag and topping off. After fermentation
>for 4 days the SG was down to 1.04 and I racked into a carboy.

Sounds good so far.

>After 10 days the bubbling slowed to one bubble every 2 minutes or so.
>Then after 11 more days the bubbling was no existent. The SP at that
>point was 1.008 with a Pot Alcohol of about 1%.

How did you determine the alchohol level?

> (It still tasted
>pretty sweet). I racked again at that point.
>I have since let it sit for another 10 days with no signs of
>fermentation. I believe it stuck.

I don't.

I think it's finished.

The difference between an initial gravity of 1.10 and a final gravity of 1.008
corresponds to an alcohol content of about 13%. The Montrachet yeast which you
used has an alcohol tolerance of about 13%. I think your fermentation is
finished, and the yeast died because the alcohol level is too high for them to
survive.

There's an easy way to tell: drink a couple glasses of it, and see if you get
a buzz.

>My question is how can I restart the fermentation to get at least down
>to 1.000 SG or lower?

I doubt you can, unless you use yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance.