Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra.

Doug Freyburger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > I agree. A simple sanity check. Doug just posted something with 5%
> > calories a day from veggies and grains. Hopefully he made a typo.

> Low carb veggies take vast amount to have much calories. My doctor
> asked about how much fruits and vegitables I eat. I asked him how
> big a serving is. When he showed me I laughed. It was half the size
> of my regular low carb veggie serving and my ultra-low carb salad
> serving was bigger. As I focus on 5+ servings of my size servings
> that's a daily focus of 10+ servings according to him. He nodded and
> stopped asking about what I eat. I only seem to pull off 8 of his
> sized servings most days. What I eat isn't good enough to count as
> Atkins maintenance but it was definitely good enough for him.
>
> It doesn't take much pasta or potatoes to make up for a huge amount of
> the vegitables that are better for you. A plate of cauliflower with
> 50 grams of carbs is the size of my head. A plate of pasta with 50
> grams is a smaller serving than I've seen at any restaurant in a very
> long time.
>
> Does anyone think there's any down side to eating 10+ servings of low
> carb veggies even in place of that many calories of carby food?
> Understanding that the replacement is low carb veggies, there's no
> down side to going wheat free, potato free or whatever. If the
> starchiest thing you eat today is a carrot and the sweetest thing you
> eat today is a pear, you don't have a problematic diet.
>
> You want to eat grain instead of cauliflower and chicken, go for it.
> But don't imagine it's actually a better diet.

You aren't getting me Doug. I eat a very balanced diet. You've even
at times seem me post a daily family list. I don't even eat
particularily high carb though some days may work out that way, they
balance with another day.

My Doctors are *delighted* with my diet. I used to run an eye-popping
450 cholestrol test. Last 7 years, it's been under 120 with such a
high HDL they don't care that it's over 100. Diet does make a
difference. It's the blanket mentality that I and others are objecting
to. Just because *I* could solve a cholestrol issue with diet (a diet
reactive one in my case combined with genetics) doesn't mean another
can.

You've gotten it into your head that carbs are automatically bad
because *you* personally feel better with a very low carb diet. I say,
enjoy it then but don't expect others to think you have the be-all and
end-all of dietary 'best practice'.

Today was probably a high carb day by your standards, but there was no
wheat. Tomorrow there will be as a loaf of bread is finishing off.
(rye, whole wheat, oats, bit of buckwheat, almond flour, honey, salt,
yeast, a bit of added gluten for rise).

Breakfast:
- Japanese rice porridge, a soupy rice in dashi wth some 25 other types
of veggies, tofu or seafood bits added in so that each bite is
different.
- fresh peach

Lunch:
- Butternut squash soup with carrots and carmelized onions
- Steamed green beans with a sesame oil dressing
- Kimchee
- Baked eggplant with olive oil and a thin layer of smoked cheese

Dinner:
- More rice
- 4oz or so sashimi tuna each, served sashimi style with dipping sauce
- Steamed bok choy and mustard greens
- Sauteed early season gobo dressed in a miso/dashi sauce
- 1 cherrystone clam each with butter and garlic dip
- More of the butternut soup
- baked apples with honey and cinnimon

If that seems odd to you, you should be able to see plenty of threads
where I have posted very similar meals since 2007. A lot of them also
add bread or udon but today, wasn't any used. Wasn't any beans today
either and thats real common for us as well.