Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra.

Steve Pope wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> Grains, especially wheat have been around for long enough the
>>> human species has (in my opinion) co-evolved with them.

>>According to my anthropology course 25ish years ago hunter gatherers
>>tend to have a few meals of cereal foods per year. Far too little to
>>evolve tolerance. Enough to weed out fatal allergic reactions.

> Read above. I'm saying adaptation to grain has evolved into
> the species since grains started being cultivated.
>
> You can look into it, but geneticists have identified specific
> gene sequences associated with agriculture and settling into
> sedentary life in cities.

Some response to the evolutionary pressure does not equal sufficent
response to the evolutionary pressure. The 10-15K years is well under a
thousand generations. Enough to weed out only the strongest negative
reactions. Enough to make grain non-toxic to most of the total
population. Enough to make reactions to grain a percent of large
populations, several percent of some small populations.

You think that enough. I don't. It's a matter of judgment that folks
don't have to agree on.