Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default The Low Fat High Carb-cholesterol is scary mantra.

cshenk > wrote:

>Serene Vannoy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Yep. He wants to sell his books. It's dangerous nonsense. (Note that
>> I'm NOT saying that any individual shouldn't cut out any food they
>> don't want to eat. Our bodies are resilient and who knows, it may be
>> best for any individual person not to eat wheat. But this movement to
>> act as though grains are harmful is dangerous and misguided.)

>I agree. A simple sanity check. Doug just posted something with 5%
>calories a day from veggies and grains. Hopefully he made a typo.

>Sure, some folks can have wheat issues, but mostly the issue not eating
>a balanced diet which uses a variety of grains in reasonable amounts.
>I happen to center on rice, corn, oatmeal, and 50/50 rye/wheat breads
>(home made). By volume, 60% roughly of our food is fruit and veggies,
>30% will be rice or corn and the rest is meat based (seafood more than
>other).

I think if you look at the U.S. government recommendations it is
possible to eat a diet that has only 5% carb calories and still fall
within the recommended Daily Values. This is because there actually
isn't a Daily Value for carbohydrate, and the protein value (of 50
to 65 grams) is a minimum value, not a maximum.

Something like 65 grams of fat, 22.5 grams of carbs, and 281.25
grams of protein would fall within government Daily Value guidelines
as an 1800 calorie/day diet. It would however violate the food
pyramid or the Happy Meal they've replaced that with.

I think you'd also have trouble finding 281.25 grams of protein
that didn't come with its own load of toxins, that you are replacing
the supposed grain toxins with....

Steve