Negodki

Default Selling Wine

"Nic Smith (Developers)" > wrote:

> People are now offering money for my wine and i have to refuse them saying
> that it is illegal as i have not got a license to sell it.

Technically, it is probably illegal for you to give away homemade wine,
depending upon how the Treasury and courts have defined "personal or family
use". It is certainly illegal to "trade" it for goods or services (including
"favors"). But you are unlikely to be prosecuted unless you offer it for
sale, in which case you are almost certain to be prosecuted.

> where could i possibly get a license from to sell my home made wine and

what
> implications would there be in having a license?

In the US, you cannot obtain a license to sell home made wine
(http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/24_75.htm). You would have to
become a bonded winery, paying all applicable fees, and submitting all
applicable paperwork. You would also have to comply with a myriad of
regulations (federal and state) dictating how your wine is made, what you
put into it, quantity, quality, alcohol level, bottle sizes, and the shape
and color of your lables. You would also be required to put inaccurate
warning labels on your bottles, reflecting the (politically-motivated)
"science" of the day. You would have to collect and pay all the various
federal, state, and local "sin" taxes, and you would be precluded from
brewing on Sunday in several states.