Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Yucky vegetables

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i hope the test works out well, Lee

>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
>> for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
>> cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
>> the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a
>> bit long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the
>> Tupperware thingy

> I'm going to have to get one. I always have a problem with celery
> going bad before I can finish the whole head.
>
> Are they labelled as such in stores? What do they look like?

It seems like this is no longer available. Tupperware here cannot be
bought in stores. If you don't want to host a party Tupperware will give
your order to a representative in your area who usually "adds" it
someone's party sales.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/14220224...y-crisp-celery

Look in the home wares stores for something similar. If you can get a
grate in a container with a nice good fitting lid I am sure that would
suffice. Doesn't have to be a long container, just cut to fit whatever
shape/size you can buy. I would probably go to a large home wares
store, not the small boutique style that mostly sell pots and pans and
nice dinner sets etc. We have a few here, Howard's Storage would be my
first stop here - they have storage for everything from kitchen,
laundry, all house areas really, and office. You might be lucky to find
something in the plastics section of the supermarket too. I am going to
have to buy another lettuce keeper too, I lost mine and I notice in
recent years lettuce does not keep very well despite us going through an
iceberg about every 3 days. The specialty lettuces are worse but I just
buy mixed leaves these days and only enough for a couple of days.

Ooo, I just found this for strawberries -
http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?prod...t=1&id_dept=64.
They are cheap here at the moment so I am buying them in bulk but they
are getting a little mould on them I have noticed. And found this,
which would be ideal for celery:
http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?prod...t=1&id_dept=64

I bought a large bunch of celery this week and I have cut off the top
with the leaves and some of the thinner pieces of celery and I am having
it in soup tonight (with other veggies) with some ham hocks.