Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Does cooking food in a microwave still retain the goodness?

"Zara M" > wrote in message

> wingmark;1637497 Wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some things
>> taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just
>> wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?
>>
>> Regards

> I don't think foods cooked using microwave oven would produce a
> different taste. Microwave oven locks the taste and smell of the food
> unlike conventional cooking, from my experience. It is also healthier to
> cook your food in it since oil is extracted because of the heat. I'm
> just not sure if the nutrients were taken out.
>

> --
> Zara M

That would depend on what you are cooking. A microwaved potato is good, but
a real backed potato is far better.

Comparing boiled or steamed peas, green beans and the like there is little
difference. Carrots, IMO, are much better roasted or sautéed.