Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 2 very good wines, both with just a hint of sugar (Loire, Saar)

Sunday we did blue snapper (aka Boston bluefish, actually a pollock) on grill, with radishleaf pesto on thin spaghetti, kohlrabi, and asparagus. Wine was the 2009 Lauer "Senior- Fass 6 " Ayler Kupp Riesling (Saar). A bit muted at first, opens nicely. Rich tropical/apple fruit with a creamy texture, but there's plenty of invigorating acidity here, wet stones, just a hint of RS. Excellent length. A-/B+

Tonight I had assorted leftover veggies, plus a squash frittata. Wine was a half bottle of the 2008 Chidaine "Les Argiles" Vouvray. Honied sweet fruit gives illusion of real sweetness at first, but while this isn't fully dry, it's not really sweet- more a sec-tendre. Ripe apple fruit with a waxy Chenin edge, light bodied but with full flavors, minerality, good length. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.