Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally[_2_] Kate Connally[_2_] is offline

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

On 8/4/2011 5:01 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:46:01 -0500, Ema >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

>> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

> Coco Lopez is the big brand used for cocktails. I don't know how it
> is for cooking. Years ago we made a drink with it and pineapple juice
> and rum. It had something else in it but it's been so long I can't
> rememeber but whatever it was it was fabulous.
>
> Lou

That is cream of coconut. It's very thick. And it's sweetened.
It's made from coconut milk, but it's not the same as coconut milk,
which is natural and not sweetened. And then there's coconut juice/water.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”