Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default Plumbing problems

On 7/29/2011 12:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave > wrote:
>
>> I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
>> nothing to do with the the feed lines.

> In my experience drain pipes fail more often then feed pipes. Not
> sure why, but it might be the inside of the pipe is more prone to
> alternate exposure to water and air and that this promotes corrosion.
> I've often seen a drain pipe corroded clear through, but not feed pipes.

Last Wednesday, €Ž3:30 AM, Becca wakes me up to say that the laminate
floor in the bathroom is "squishy". Remove bathroom door, remove linen
cabinet to get at wall behind shower... find leak, clean up, go back to
bed. Called the plumber at 7 AM and he was there by 10 AM.

€ŽThe culprit was a 30 year old copper pipe feed line.... corroded and
split at a joint. I am not good at sweating copper joints... but I got
the wall opened and clear so the plumber had easy access so it took him
less than an hour. I got everything back together and only have to re-do
some trim work (baseboards and 1/4 round)

A pox on builders who bury copper piping inside walls without leaving
access panels.

George L