Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plumbing problems

On 29/07/2011 1:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave > wrote:
>
>> I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
>> nothing to do with the the feed lines.

> In my experience drain pipes fail more often then feed pipes. Not
> sure why, but it might be the inside of the pipe is more prone to
> alternate exposure to water and air and that this promotes corrosion.
> I've often seen a drain pipe corroded clear through, but not feed pipes.

The plumber who was here blames drain cleaners. He said they should
never be used. I have replaced all the sinks in my house over the years
and the old metal pieces were all in rough shape. Plastic, OTH, seems
to last much longer.

The only feed pipe problem I have encountered was at a friend's place.
The plastic supply line to the upstairs toilet had sprung a hairline
crack and there was a fine mist spraying out of it. The problem was that
the house had been vacant for a week or two. He had been on a work
exchange program in Ontario, was bicycling back, meeting his wife in
Saskatchewan and visiting family. We were going to be there a few days
ahead. It was not a big leak, but it went on long enough to do
considerable damage. Thanks to insurance it was all done by the time he
got back a few days later.