Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Where is everyone?

On 7/26/2011 11:54 PM, Kitty wrote:
> last week we thought we'd check the zucchinis. they had lots of
> blossom and we thought we'd see some fingerlings.
>
> you may all chuckle under your breath now. we had six huge ones. and
> our freezer is full still cause I BUY bags of frozen mixed veg, and
> pork and donated fish from a son in law, and deer from daughter.
> well..... six zucchini, and not fingerlings either.
>
> I'm stunned.... then my cousin forced four yellow squash on me, and
> you may call me overwhelmed. and I can't fry them, due to I can't
> use flour or bread crumbs cause I'm allergic to wheat. I'm thinking
> about drying them. I know, I better think fast.

I use yellow squash in stir fry, whatever meat is on hand, sliced
carrots, maybe other veggies, etc. We never use flour to fry zukes,
eggplant, or other veggies, we always use either corn meal or masa (corn
flour). That's the way most southerners fry their squash.

> Hubby can eat lasagna but I can't, dairy allergy, so I sometimes make
> it for him. and zucchini makes great lasagna noodles. and I think that
> would freeze well. but I'd like to store the six zucchini NOT in the
> freezer, due to space issues.

I can't think of anyway to store them other than dehydrating them and
I've never tried that method. Zukes are best stored in freezers as
grated zukes for later use IMHO. I've made zucchini and yellow squash
pickles with good results. Believe I posted the recipe here recently and
you can use either type of squash. Don't know about the big ones though
for that method. Otherwise you can do what the Brits call "vegetable
marrow" stuff a zucchini with meat and other veggies and bake.

> Anyway this is the FIRST of the Zucchini, not the total harvest unless
> I pull the dad ratted things out.

When they start coming in it is best to search the vines daily,
otherwise you get logs that might be handy in building a garden shed. <G>