Posted to rec.food.cooking
kop kop is offline

Default Shit On A Shingle

On Jul 26, 2:44*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in messagenews:gcst275v094maoeqcknumr1v81tlafciq1@4ax .com...
>
> | On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:18:24 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> | > Really? *Who thinks that substituting hamburger for the meat in a recipe
> | > makes it gourmet?
> | >
> | I'm not going there about hamburger vs. chipped beef and I don't call
> | it SOS anyway, so I have no dog in this fight. *But I don't think all
> | those additions are military issue.
>
> Of course not, but just as some military people alter their uniforms
> to make them look a bit sharper, some cooks might just add a touch
> of some off-recipe spice or herb to make the food taste a bit
> better. *Cooks in big mess halls not so much; cooks in the field or
> in smaller units or bases, yeah. *Y'know, it is not a court-martial
> offense. *Some mess halls have really good food, some not so.
> Just a fact of life.
>
> pavane

***I got served Sh%t on a Shingle when I was over in Hawaii at Hickam
AFB many moons ago...It was pure sh%t...They used a lousy grade of
pork sausage and a milky crap cream gravy, and to top it all off the
toast wasn't crisped enough...I took a couple of bites, excused
myself, and threw up in the crapper...HuuuuuuRaaaaah!