Default Pleasant surprise

I agree that adding sugar to a weak juice is a waste ( unless you are
making grappa!) I don't make my kits to more than 24 brix (1.100 S.G.)
The alcohol will stay in balance with the flavor. Kit wine is
balanced.

If you live in a warm place perhaps you can filter your wine or rack
it more often to get rid of harshness. My Italian friend racks his
monthly like they did in the old counrty. Get the wine off the
sediment to improve the flavour he says.

I think filtering and my cold basement helps the most.

Mike