Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Tools for truffles

sf wrote:

> I haven't made truffles very often, but when I do... I don't dip them
> in melted chocolate. I roll them in unsweetened chocolate or finely
> chopped nuts.

I bought a chocolate tempering machine, so I darn well
am going to dip them and anything else that doesn't
run away!

I got a Norco 25 mm scoop which works about as well
as can be expected for making the centers. I bought
the cheap Wilton dipping tool set consisting of loop
and fork tools. That works quite well, the loop for
capturing and lifting the center out of the chocolate
and the fork for handling the coated center, like
getting it out of the loop and onto the aluminum foil.
I bought a second set so I can work twice as long before
pausing to clean off the tools. I also bought a chocolate
chipper for breaking up the chocolate from the previous
batch for remelting.

I made a lot of improvement with my second batch.
There's a lot of technique which you can only pick up
by doing it.