Old 20-07-2011, 04:27 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: wines back at home- French, Spanish, and US

On Jul 20, 10:33*am, Mark Lipton wrote:
On 7/20/11 9:55 AM, DaleW wrote:

Sunday Betsy headed to Mendocino, that night no wine with dinner at in-
laws, then redeye home (after a lovely interlude at the Sacromento
airport "yes sir, you do have a confirmed seat, but we don't have a
ticket number" ). *Monday I caught up at work, then had a quiet
evening with the dog, bbq chicken, sauteed spinach, and the NV (2010)
Lapierre "X" Raisins Gaulois. For me this is kickapoo joy juice-
vibrant, fun, uncomplicated. Fresh acidity, pretty red fruit, easy to
like. B+

Gouleyant, as the French would say. *I liked the IX quite a bit, but the
X is just that much more fun.

1985 Gundlach-Bundschu "Rhinefarm Vineyard Vintage Reserve" Cabernet
Sauvignon
I was afraid that this would be dead, but it had plenty of fruit. What
it didn't have (for me) was much interest. Low acid, resolved tannins
let to feeling of no structure, some tertiary leaves/forest floor
notes but no real complexity, red plum fruit with a hint of prune.
Others liked more, but to me this is not an example of why you age
wine 25 years. . C+

I've never considered Gundlach-Bundschu as one of the better producers.
*Because of their location and memorable name, they've long been a
favorite stop for Sonoma wine tourists and that doesn't usually provide
much incentive to make ageworthy wines, sad to say.

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Amen to that Mark. I had a friend who moved to Sonoma back in the
early 80's and was sending me Gundlach-Bundschu (he called it Good
Luck Bunny Shoes) wines and I found them to be charmless, weak and
diluted.