Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Where is everyone?

On 7/19/2011 9:46 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 2:39 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 7/17/2011 2:31 PM, gloria.p wrote:

>>> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as
>>> appetizing as eating rat. I still love ya, though.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Protein is protein Gloria. When I was going through a military survival
>> school about an eon ago I ate rat, dog, cat, skunk, snake, cactus grubs
>> and whatever I could catch. Monkey ain't bad either. <G>
>>
>> Would I eat any of them nowadays, not likely? Squirrel is a southern
>> traditional food and we are absolutely overrun with the damned things.
>> Had to throw several nice tomatoes in the compost bin today as the
>> squirrels take one bite and drop them. They even eat my eggplant the
>> devils. Only fair to eat the squirrels in return.

> When I was a kid we ate stewed rabbit occasionally, both domestic and
> wild. (My dad hunted.) I ate it but was never wild about it. A very
> squeamish friend stopped by and Dad had her taste it, telling her it was
> chicken. She raved about it. When he told her what it was, she
> replied "It was so good. I'd eat it again, but only if I thought it was
> chicken." That's about my speed, too.
>

> gloria p

Picky eaters didn't last long in my family. You either ate what was put
on the table or went hungry. Worked with my kids and the grandkids and
now we're doing it to the great grands. If you're hungry enough you eat
what's there. And no PB&J instead of either.

I've found that young kids, less than teenagers, are more adventurous
than adults. One step great grand picked up a bad habit from his Mom. He
won't eat anything with a skin on it or bones in it. He came to my house
and we were having Popeye's fried chicken. The nine-year old wanted
something else because of his avoidance of skin and bones. Told him no,
either eat what is there or wait until the next meal and there would be
no snacks or dessert in between. He fussed around for a bit and then
grabbed a leg and started chewing. He suddenly found out he could eat
anything and I no longer have a problem with him. He was born with a
mild case of CP and his Mom has always babied him. He doesn't get babied
in our family, he has one weak leg but the rest of him is very healthy.
Now when they come over he always asks what we're cooking. I think it
helped when I told him birds, and chickens included, were the
descendants of the dinosaurs.