Posted to rec.food.equipment
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Does cooking food in a microwave still retain the goodness?

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> |
> | "wingmark" > wrote in message
> | >
> | > Hi,
> | >
> | > The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some
> things
> | > taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just
> | > wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?
> | >
> | > Regards
> | > wingmark
> | >

> | Good question. Personally I doubt that it destroys. The microwave
> produces
> | heat, but just in a different way. Nothing gets hotter.
>
> Not true. Water can be microwaved to above boiling temperatu
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0
>
> pavane

I did not know that. Thanks for the post. This, from Argonne National Labs,
seems to be a good explanation of how this occurs. It's been a long time
since thermodynamics was in this brain.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00636.htm

Kent