Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Take away the fat kids?

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> Suburbs where nobody ever walks, and where all destinations are
>> surrounded by large parking lots such that you never even cross
>> a street on foot, are not entirely unique to parts of North America; but
>> they are not the norm world-wide. What you're describing is in fact
>> surprising to many people.

>I suppose it could be. The only other country I've been to is Canada and
>it's pretty much like here. At least the few parts I've been to.

Cities that were developed mostly after the invention of the automobile,
and that are in relatively wealthy countries where most people can
be expected to have one, tend to be like you describe.

These two conditions mostly occur together in parts of north America.
On a worldwide basis and over the long term, it is not anywhere near
the norm.

Steve