Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Take away the fat kids?

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> That's not true. I wouldn't go outside to play when it was cold and
>> rainy nor would my mother let me. My daughter HATES playing outside.
>> Too many bugs and too much dirt.

> Oh, that's funny to me. My mom insisted that I go outside, even when it
> was bitterly cold out. Of course, no one else was out under such
> circumstances, so that was rather boring.
>
>> We have sidewalks here. We've had two out of control cars in the past
>> few years go up onto the sidewalk. My husband's car was hit and then the
>> neighbor two doors down. Drunk drivers.

> At what hour was this? One can't live like a hot house plant just because
> something like this might happen!
>>
>> It is not safe to let kids play outside alone because there are just too
>> many weirdos out there. And too much lack of police. We don't live in
>> the city limits. There is a park across the street from us. No way
>> would I let my daughter go there without me. Too much drug activity
>> going on. Oh and the gangs have tagged this area now too.

> Well, gangs are another thing. Yeah, those would be dangerous.

We live in the suburbs. There is really no reason for us to be going
outside or crossing streets. Yes there is a park across the street. If you
are underage and in need of beer that's where you go to get it. Want
illegal drugs? You can get those there too. So that's a street we don't
need to be crossing. There is really nothing here within walking distance
and although our particular street has sidewalks there is nobody on the
other side of the street that we would visit. Go to the next busy cross
street and you lose the sidewalks. Yes, some people walk down there. I have
almost hit people walking there countless times. It's just not safe.

We drive everywhere we need to go. The closest grocery store is a good 2
miles from here. The school is about 6 as is the dance studio and my
parents live 9 miles from here.