Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Take away the fat kids?

Ophelia wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Polly Esther wrote:
>>>
>>> "Ranée at Arabian Knits" <> wrote in part
>>>
>>> You've nailed what I see as part of the problem that we can do
>>> something about. When did it happen that folks don't know their
>>> neighbors? We don't get to choose our families or our neighbors (much)
>>> but it is surprising and sad that people don't meet/know their
>>> neighbors.
>>> Being neighborly didn't come easy to some of ours and it took years.
>>> There's one home on our road where I've never met the folks. Don't
>>> think they'll shoot me but they might not welcome me with open arms. (
>>> or they might) I just may bake them a banana nut bread and go introduce
>>> myself. Do you know your neighbors? Polly
>>>

>> Maybe to some degree this change is also correlated with working moms?
>> (or should I say with both parents working?) When my daughter was a tot,
>> there were still some moms and kids who would meet at the park and thus
>> get to know each other. Or just being out with one's child could lead to
>> meeting neighbors, including others with children of a similar age.
>>
>> I was very disappointed with my old neighborhood. The folks that had
>> been
>> there for a while had bonded and didn't really care to include anyone
>> new.
>> The family across the street was nice, and our kids played some.
>> Otherwise, nothing. Oh, except for a man who walked his dog. We would
>> chat as he he walked by. And another walker. (Another common element:
>> use of cars and not being out walking?)
>>
>> Actually folks in the new neighborhood are friendlier, especially the
>> woman across the street. But then *I* usually see the seemingly nice
>> folks to one side of my house when I pass by in the car....

> I met more people when I got my dog then I did in all the years I was
> working

I bet! I initially met the neighbor across the street because she
is always out with her dog. She is, for better or for worse (and
I decided to accept that it was better) kind-of the self-appointed
neighborhood watch, and I suspect she sometimes goes out with her
dog precisely to see what is going on and sometimes to talk when
she sees me.

I actually contemplate getting a dog precisely because one meets
more people that way--and the exercise is mandatory even in foul
weather. Of course, the prospect of going out in hideous weather
is not appealing, but still.... People do it, and I could do it.

The other day I was in a shop where I saw a Silky Terrier that
weighed all of 4 pounds. Sooo cute! But then I remind myself
that I have shy cats, at least 1 of which would totally freak out
if there was a dog here.

--
Jean B.