Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Do you know of any good Chinese restaurants in Toronto?

On Jul 15, 5:33 pm,
(Moby_Nick) wrote:
> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Solicit recommendations from family and friends and at the same time
try to arrange a dinner party. Chinese food is more enjoyable with a
large group (think six or eight) than for a single or couple because
typically you order dishes 'for the table' rather than individually.
Then you get to share, and try a number of different dishes rather
than one or two.

Chinese food may be grouped by regions, with distinct, albeit
overlapping, characteristics. Think about what kinds of food you
like and perhaps that might lead you to search for a particular kind
of restaurant. Do you like seafood? Fresh vegetables? Light
seasoning that aims to draw out the intrinsic goodnesss of the
ingredients? Then look for a Cantonese place. Or maybe you want
those things perked up with a bit of vinegar or sugar or wine? Maybe
a Shanghainese place would suit you better. You much prefer noodles
and wheat to rice? Prefer lamb and pork to chicken and seafood? A
northern style or Mandarin restaurant might suit your tastes. Then
again, if you really like hot and spicy food with fresh or dried chile
peppers, you'd do better with a Sichuan (aka Szechuan) or Hunan place,
which may also offer some terrific smoked dishes.

These are just general guidelines with many, many exceptions. It's an
interesting thing to think about. I've never met anyone weird enough
to have never had Chinese food. I'm thinking you're 14 and haven't
got out much yet....... -aem