Andrew L Drumm

Default Ascorbic acid as an anti-oxidant?

6
> > months to a year, then it's bad. If your wine will be drunk in this

> period,
> > then ascorbic does very well as an antioxidant, probably better than

SO2.
> > After this, things go very bad very fast, as oxidation of ascorbic

> produces
> > peroxide, which also scavenges your SO2, so oxidation of your wine
> > accelerates! I've never heard of it used to fix disulphides - it might

> work,
> > but your best approach is to knock any H2S on the head with copper

before
> it
> > has a chance to go to disulphide.

> It's bad form to describe a dissenting opinion as "BS", absolute or
> otherwise. Presque Isle is a reputable supplier of winemaking equipment

who
> have been in business since 1964. They are also a Pennsylvania bonded

winery
> with considerable experience. Their owners and staff have impressive
> credentials and a vast array of knowledge and experience. I respect and
> value their opinion as much as any member of this newsgroup.
>
> You may have had different experience than Presque Isle with ascorbic

acid,
> and I'm equally interested in hearing your experiences and opinion. It's
> also possible the PI is in error in this instance, or that there is a
> typographical error or hiatus in the text. But denigrating another source,
> especially a respected source, is unnecessary and offensive.
>
> Something which "works fine for about 6 months to a year, then ...

produces
> peroxide, which also scavenges your SO2, so oxidation of your wine
> accelerates" doesn't sound like something I would wish to use. Even if I
> _intended_ to drink the wine within that short time period, the thought of
> it being ruined if I did not is quite unattractive.
>
> Obviously it is preferable to eliminate an H2S problem before it

progresses
> to disulphide, and no one has recommended that one wait until this stage.
> But sometimes the best efforts of mice and men fail, and then a solution
> must be found. PI has suggested one, and I have quoted them. You are free

> ignore their advice.
>
> One could make a similar statement about your (abbreviated) copper

solution,
> e.g. "your best approach is to avoid H2S problems in the first place" ---
> good advice, but hardly helpful to someone who has not done so.

The advice given by Presque Isle is highly dangerous, and people listening
to it run the risk of ruining their wine, therefore I will stand by my
statement that their advice is absolute BS (and where I come from, that's
being polite). The point that ascorbic acid needs SO2 was made repeatedly
when I was studying oenology, and standard industry texts also support this
view. You will also have noticed that I was not the only one stating that
this advice was incorrect.
For references, see:
Ribereau-Gayon,P., et al, "Handbook of Enology" (2000) Wiley
Section 9.5.1 "ascorbic acid should only be used in wines containing a
sufficient concentration of free sulfur dioxide, available for the
elimination of the hydrogen peroxide formed in the course of oxidations"
9.5.4 "Ascorbic acid permits a better conservation of wine freshness and
fruitiness-especially in certain types of dry or sparkling white wines"

Ough, C.S., "Winemaking Basics" (1992) Haworth Press
p.281, quoting Rankine: "He suggests that as long as 15-35mg/L of free SO2
is present, its [ascorbic acid's] use is satisfactory."

Rankine, in his own winemaking book (which is at work, so I can't quote him
verbatim or give ), also says much the same.

In Australia, the use of ascorbic acid, while becoming less common, is
certainly a commercially acceptable practice for the production of fresh,
fruit-driven wines that are to be consumed within one year of bottling.

If you are thinking of following Presque Isle's advice, I would ask them
where they got their information from, and consult the sources personally,
rather than relying on their interpretation. It conflicts with every single
piece of advice I have seen concerning the use of ascorbic acid.