Joe Sallustio

Default Air space

I use carboys and no cooling, I keep 1/2" once fermentation is over.
I just adjust the level with temperature variations, topping off or
removing.

I think that is the safe play, as temperature variations in our house
rarely exceed 20 F over a year where my wine is made. I will cold
stabilize outside this year. When I do that, I put vodka in the
airlocks and top after the first day.

Our winters can get cold, so outside temps vary from around 95 to 0
over the year worst case.

Even if I don't take it outside I get a lot of tartrate out of
suspension at 50F over several months.
Regards,
Joe