Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default The Reverse Sear - any thoughts on this?

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message
> The REVERSE SEAR (aka Finney Method)
> 1. Thaw meat (if frozen). If meat is refrigerated, remove from fridge when
> you go out to light grill.
> 2. Pre-heat your grill to 200* and let stabilize. You can go as high as
> 250*. Higher really, but you guys are wanting a low internal finish temp.
> so the lower the better. Also, a lower cooking temp will get you a smaller
> rise in internal temp from carryover heat.
> 3. Insert meat probe into meat and place on the grill. Go as indirect as
> you can with your cooker. You want gentle heat. A ceramic cooker is better
> for that than an oven. (because an oven cycles on and off to keep temps
> within a range)
> 4. When the internal temp of the meat reaches 5* below your target temp
> (if cooking at 200-230*) remove steak to a plate and loosely tent with
> foil. (as much as 10* under your target if cooking at 250*) Leave probe in
> meat.
> 5. Open vents on grill and raise temp as high as you feel comfortable. The
> higher the better to keep a low internal finish temperature. (I know this
> sounds backwards or reverse even, but trust me)
> 6. When the internal temp of your meat has dropped 2 - 5* from it's
> carryover temp high, remove the probe and place meat directly over, and as
> close to the coals as your cooking rack allows. (on a Primo with a full
> load of charcoal you should be within a few inches, max) With extremely
> high heat and close proximity to the coals you should have a good sear in
> seconds. (remember, at this point you're only searing... the meat is
> cooked, so don't leave it on there longer than you have to)

Yes, I think it is a form of "sous vide", to address Sqwertz's comment.
First, "sous vide" means under vacuum in a plastic bag. That cooks the meat
in a water bath at a very slow rate to just over desired ultimate temp. I
use the term to apply to any technique that raises the internal temp. of the
meat to the "done" temp. very very slowly.

I'm going "sous vide in air" a 2.5" thick California chteaubriand in my WSM
at a very low temp,

to 130F. Then I'm going to sear it as hot as I can on the Weber kettle. I
use a basket to bring the charcoal to .75" from the grate. I'll sear a
minute or so on all sides.

Then we'll dine with an old Bordeaux wine.

Kent