Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Fizzy?

Dave Budd > writes:

> In article >,
> says...
>> > Which raises the question of what to do now... there was at least one
>> > response that suggested that the CO2 would outgas naturally while in the
>> > bottle. How long could I expect that to take? Alternatively, I do have
>> > a good vacuum pump (for automotive a/c work).... so I guess I could
>> > pull a vacuum on each bottle the day before I plan on opening...

>> I'd just plan on decanting (splashing) into a carafe an hour or so before
>> serving.

> Or 10 minutes and give it a good agitation with a long spoon

Tried another bottle -- the extra time in bottle helped some. I
splashed into a decanter (always try the easiest fix first!) an hour
before dinner, but didn't notice a significant enough difference to
worry about.... put it back in the bottle and put vacuum cork on it
(yes, one of the little hand-operated vacuums); next day it seems
better.

If I got desperate I could draw a real vacuum -- I've got a pump
designed for car air conditioning systems....