Dan Clore

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

Wm James wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:14:22 -0700, Dan Clore
> > wrote:

>>>Yes he does - he has the right to control the interaction as he sees fit. If
>>>the employees think that it's excessive, they have the right to quit and
>>>seek work elsewhere. It's called the "free market", and it keeps both sides
>>>(management and labor) from becoming too dictatorial or unrealistic.
>>>Unfortunately, lefties such as yourself don't like the idea of freedom of
>>>choice, so you would rather impose your own prejudices on an employment
>>>situation...

>>And there you have it: according to Stain, "freedom of
>>choice" means giving the boss complete control over the
>>workers, and this prevents management from becoming "too
>>dictatorial". If workers find such total, arbitrary rule
>>"excessive", why, they can look for another master who will
>>again have total, arbitrary control over them. Freedom means
>>more than a choice of masters.

> Nonsense. The boss has complete control over his property. He has
> complete control over what is his to trade, it's HIS money. It's HIS
> job, not the vendor's job. The employees have complete control over
> their property, and what they have to trade as well. Neither party
> should have to trade if they choose not to. Either party is free to
> trade elsewhere. and either party if free to set the rules regarding
> activities allowed on their property.

And there you have it: according to Wm James, "freedom of
choice" means giving the boss complete control over the
workers, and this prevents management from becoming "too
dictatorial". If workers find such total, arbitrary rule
"excessive", why, they can look for another master who will
again have total, arbitrary control over them. Freedom means
more than a choice of masters.

It almost seems like I'm repeating myself.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord We˙rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608