Posted to rec.food.cooking
sandi sandi is offline

Default Cost cutting the grocery bill tactics

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> Hi all,
>
> Been a bit since we have had a thread on this and the scene
> has changed a bit in both produce and items we may be finding.
> I'd be interested in what items the rest of you are using now
> that you enjoy.
>
> One item almost out of our purchases is beef. Thats not a
> good sign for our economy in the USA but the cost is now
> radically higher than pork, often $2 a lb or more. Fresh
> seafood is generally cheaper now than beef.
>
> Major brands are reducing sizes in small increments while
> store brands and 'off brands' are not. Salt and sugar
> addition to major brands seems to be increasing while store
> brands overall seem stable.
>
> Thoughts?
> Carol

75% of the time I buy items that are on sale and that I have a
coupon for. (Lots of double coupon stores in my area.) Day old
bread, marked down meat that is at the expiration date or a bit
later. And by the store brands for staples like flour, sugar, salt
etc. Right now, one of the local grocery stores has White Rain
shampoo only sale for 69 cents! Chicken tenders and boneless
chicken breasts for $1.88 # are on sale this week at Albertsons.

If I am lazy... I'll take all the ads to WalMart and have them
price match. And WalMart ususally has GREAT sales on chips and BBQ
items around the 4th of July.