Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor?

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:30:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for a new wood this summer. I think I'm going to use oak.
>>I'm tired of the same old hickory and pecan. But I can't find any oak
>>at all. BBQ galore will be my last try.

> There gotta be oak trees in your area; either deadfalls or prunings
> should be fairly simple to get.

Good sources for smoking wood is the tree trimmers working on utility lines.
If you happen to have a cold six pack of Pepsi in the car, they just may
stop and talk to you for a minute. Fruit orchard trim trees every year,
even a couple of pieces from the neighbor's firewood pile will work.