Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_5_] Brick[_5_] is offline

Default Got some hickory and apple wood. Now what?

On 12-Jun-2011, tutall > wrote:

> On Jun 12, 7:35*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > "ceed" > wrote in message
> >
> > > I've always been using lump in my cast iron offset barrel smoker.
> > > Looks
> > > like this:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13631571/070504_%230004.jpg.
> > > However,
> > > a friend dumped off a few bags of hickory and apple wood the other day
> > > so
> > > I thought I would use that, but I need some advice on how to use it.
> > > Do I

> > Depends on how much you have. *If you have a limited supply, use the
> > lump
> > and add a stick or two as you go to make good smoke flavor. *That three
> > bags
> > can last a few years.
> >
> > If you can get much of it, just burn it down in the firebox to get some
> > coals going, then start cooking. *A North Carolina purist will make
> > coals
> > and just add the coals, but many of us would just keep adding the wood.
> > Not
> > too much at a time though, or you get thick acrid smoke and creosote
> > flavor.

> What Ed said. I would like to say that even when I've used larger than
> suggested sized logs, I've not had this creosote problem people talk
> about. Did probably 12 raw wood only cooks the last three years all of
> them using larger than preferred logs and even though I sometimes got
> more smoke than you'd like, don't remember that bad smell people refer
> to and it never came out in the product, even when there was
> smoldering.
> When I've tasted or smelled that bad smoke, it was a result of a fire
> that was oxygen starved or damped down, reducing both the oxygen and
> the air flow. When using wood, keep the thing breathing, only damp it
> down a little bit when it starts burning a out of control. Am sure you
> know this already, but it bears repeating: keep the exhaust vents full
> open, control is done at the intake.
> Playing around with your exhaust can result in the creosote too.
>
> But my firebox is pretty damn big too, I can get away doing logs you
> can't with that smaller firebox. The classic size suggested is about
> 2x2x12 splits. You didn't say in what form this wood is, logs,
> branches, already cut, but you said "bags" so it could be chunks.
> *shrug*. Help a man help ya man.
>
> Don't expect to be able to use pure raw wood and cook 200-250F. Think
> 250-300 if you're good. And of course spikes above that.
> I like using raw wood, it's different and it's a bit of a challenge
> too, like the smoke I get out of it too. Will only do big chunk meat
> this way becasuse of the heat, brisket or butt.
>
> Now using that apple, with it's subtle flavors that's best used on
> other smaller, shorter cooking cuts, I'd be prepared to tend a fire
> the whole time just for the results. Beverage and book in hand of
> course.

> [...]

tutall is correct, but he makes it sound so much easier then it
is. Granted, I'm a slow learner, but it took me the better part of
two years to gain control of an offset BBQ pit to the point that I
can fuel it with whatever is handy and know that I'm going to get
good 'Q' out of it.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)