Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Got some hickory and apple wood. Now what?

"ceed" > wrote in message
newsp.vwyrcddl74icqb@christian-n80vb...
> Hi,
>
> I've always been using lump in my cast iron offset barrel smoker. Looks
> like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13631571/070504_%230004.jpg . However,
> a friend dumped off a few bags of hickory and apple wood the other day so
> I thought I would use that, but I need some advice on how to use it. Do I
> start a fire in the box and wait until it has burned down to coals, and
> what about refueling? I guess I'm not going to good with a good 'ol fire
> in the box since that would make it far too hot for my beloved (but time
> consuming) "low and slow"?
>
> Advice appreciated.
>
> --
> ceed (indeed)

Depends on how much you have. If you have a limited supply, use the lump
and add a stick or two as you go to make good smoke flavor. That three bags
can last a few years.

If you can get much of it, just burn it down in the firebox to get some
coals going, then start cooking. A North Carolina purist will make coals
and just add the coals, but many of us would just keep adding the wood. Not
too much at a time though, or you get thick acrid smoke and creosote flavor.