Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Alton Brown jerky (glucosamine)

cshenk wrote:
> The nooner meal is a simple thing here. I've had lots of older pets
> and they need extra calcium and glucosamine chrondritin (sp?). One of
> my pooches doesnt seem to absorb the pill/powder form but does every
> well on bone and joint broths. I make those in my crockpot in 1-2
> gallon batches from leftover chicken and duck carcasses as well as fish
> heads and tails and spines. Cat gets 2-3 TB, big dog get 1/2 cup and
> smaller one gets a 1/2 cup minus 2-3TB (grin). Little bits of meat and
> other goodies go in there too.
>
> Main benefit besides serious reduction in arthritis issues in 2 older
> dogs, is the cat glows and has none of the expected kidney issues they
> start to develop (often attributed to not drinking enough).

I've just started giving liquid glucosamine to our boxer for arthritis
in her hip. (it's $30 for 8 ounces, but that should last a month and a
half.) The problem is, she's a picky eater and our other dogs aren't --
so it's hard to make sure she gets it before somebody steals it.

Tell me more about the fish head stock. I was wondering if I could make
this stuff myself if I could find a good source of shrimp shells, cram
shells, and fish scales; and the dogs might like it better. (if she
really likes it, I could sneak a half an aspirin in it and kill 2
problems at once.)

-Bob