Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Costco

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 03:06:11 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>Yep, the local nurseries plants much better. I would never buy crappy
>plants that are sold in many of the all in one stores. Nurseries often
>guarantee the plants for year. Something Costco cannot do.

You seem to have totally misunderstood what Janet was saying, even
though she reiterated it for you in an additional post.

Costco is not a nursery, nor was it ever claimed to be, but what it
does sell IS guaranteed, AND will be covered by Costco's return
policies, so you are just flat out wrong on that fact.

Costco is also not a fish monger, a butcher shop, nor a bakery, yet
you will find a wonderful selection of (GUARANTEED) items in all of
those areas there.

The greenery items they handle in the spring, and the other plants at
times during the year, are always of first quality, speaking, of
course, as Master Gardener to Master Gardener, you understand. Rutgers
has a great course.

You cannot go to Costco looking to find a particular item you seek for
the garden, but what they do carry is highly competitive in price and
first rate. Had I wanted rhodies, azaleas or arborvitae last month,
I'd have been hard pressed to find specimens that size for those
prices at any nursery near me. Their oversize flats of New Guinea
impatiens were many dollars cheaper than the nurseries here, too. And
ask me about my rather large, $12 Cinco de Mayo rose bushes. And I
buy my tree roses there at half the cost of local nurseries. Their
fall bulbs are cheaper than Home Depot and of catalog quality. Again.
limited selection, but great stuff and quite price-competitive.

Both my composters come from there, too, so I know available garden
supplies are a steal. Just bought a replacement hose for the front
yard, also.

I do not often buy orchids at Costco, though, as they do not usually
carry anything exotic enough for me. Although I must say that the
Costco cymbidiums I bought 3 years ago are blooming rather nicely
right now.

All of that said, each Costco's department stock will vary somewhat
from location to location. Janet can get particular bulk cuts of meat
at her Costco that I cannot get at mine. The wines that mine stock are
not necessarily to be found at other Costco's. Others have mentioned
particular cheeses that I cannot find locally at Costco.

It isn't that Costco is the cheapest store on every single item they
carry, as other retailers in an area are not stupid, but for
consistent high quality and excellent prices AND for the impeccable
service, proven yet again by my recently posted air conditioner story,
I am a devoted customer. They stand behind every single item they sell
and if you get something you do not like, or it craps out, they'll
take it back, no questions asked.

Yes, I have a Costco AmEx card that gets me two fat rebate checks in
the spring. Yes, I am a stockholder. Yes, I love Costco.

Boron