Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Costco

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:56:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:57:00 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
>> > wrote:

>>> Quality is of greater importance to me than price. So reading the local ads
>>> of stores does not bother me. The extra gas and time does not bother me. I
>>> so admit I am addicted to snickers candy bars that I do buy in bulk.
>>>
>>> Costco does not have a garden center that is worth anything! What two
>>> small isles of garden supplies. The local nursery has acres of plants and
>>> supplies with a much much higher quality. The nursery is just two miles
>>> from the local Costco and blows them away in quality and price. I find
>>> Costco plants are sad looking. However as a Master Gardener I might be a
>>> tad picky.

>> I doubt that being a Master Gardener has anything to do with it. As
>> with everything else, selection is limited at Costco. What they have
>> is exemplary and stuff moves fast. Shop where you prefer. I do.
>> Janet US

> A real master gardener wouldn't be buying plants at any grocery
> store/department store. I buy plants at major plant nurseries that
> actually grow everything they sell and plants are their only business.
> I mostly patronize these two:
> http://www.storysnursery.com/
> http://www.schoharienurseries.com/

Yep, the local nurseries plants much better. I would never buy crappy
plants that are sold in many of the all in one stores. Nurseries often
guarantee the plants for year. Something Costco cannot do.

I do shop at Costco for some items. They have discount prices on the latest
books, magazines and some office supplies. However, it is the junk foods
that are my downfalls, like candy bars by the box and those Cashews....
Arggg...

Twice a year Costco has those Vitamix Blenders on demonstration for sale...
Usually before thanksgiving... I want one of those.... Saving my pennies.