Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Costco

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:56:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:57:00 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:
>
>>Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>>>
>>> I shop Costco and one other store that has good prices. I just don't
>>> see the point in reading ads and running here and there to catch a
>>> special and burning the gas to traipse all over town. I get the best
>>> looking, in the best condition, fruit, veggies and meat at Costco.
>>> Period. Condition and looks are very important to me. For things I
>>> want in smaller quantity or things that Costco doesn't carry, I shop
>>> Winco.
>>> You can't beat Costco for the garden center values in the spring. The
>>> annuals and perennials are outstanding in price and quality. Stuff
>>> moves through the store so quickly the plants just don't have time to
>>> lose quality.
>>> I shop Costco for glasses and OTC drugs and supplements.
>>> The price and quality of men's jeans can't be beat. The spice aisle
>>> has excellent value.
>>> We get all our gas there. With our Executive membership we get an
>>> additional 4 percent off the listed price in the form of a year-end
>>> rebate.
>>> Janet US

>>Quality is of greater importance to me than price. So reading the local ads
>>of stores does not bother me. The extra gas and time does not bother me. I
>>so admit I am addicted to snickers candy bars that I do buy in bulk.
>>
>>Costco does not have a garden center that is worth anything! What two
>>small isles of garden supplies. The local nursery has acres of plants and
>>supplies with a much much higher quality. The nursery is just two miles
>>from the local Costco and blows them away in quality and price. I find
>>Costco plants are sad looking. However as a Master Gardener I might be a
>>tad picky.

>I doubt that being a Master Gardener has anything to do with it. As
>with everything else, selection is limited at Costco. What they have
>is exemplary and stuff moves fast. Shop where you prefer. I do.
>Janet US

A real master gardener wouldn't be buying plants at any grocery
store/department store. I buy plants at major plant nurseries that
actually grow everything they sell and plants are their only business.
I mostly patronize these two:
http://www.storysnursery.com/
http://www.schoharienurseries.com/