Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lee[_12_] Lee[_12_] is offline

Default Dish washing products

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 22:57:13 -0400, Polly Esther wrote
(in article >):

> I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
> collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
> terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle, I add a
> capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can get, put on my
> gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and rinse.
> Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help. Protect
> yourself - it's not kind to skin or noses but it surely does clean. And
> Lee. You can leave your dishes in the sink to soak anytime you want/need
> to. It is your sink. There are no Sink Police. None that we want to meet
> anyway. Polly

Hi, Polly Esther,
We've met before on another NG. Nice to meet again.

I collect bottles and colored glass. I clean them with ammonia, as you
suggest. As far as the dishes go, I could really leave them in the sink
until I run out of dishes, but I don't because arthritis in my back doesn't
allow me to stand at the sink for more than 15 minutes.

Giusi was able to tell me what the problem was and I guess the only real
solution is a water softener. Adding more detergent to the water did seem to
help.

I am glad I finally asked here for help. Not knowing what was wrong was
really annoying.

--
Lee
Park Ridge NJ