Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Corkage Fees

On 6/2/11 11:27 AM, Ed Rasimus wrote:

> Worst state I ever lived in for alcohol laws was Alabama, but that was
> thirty five years ago. Colorado was excellent except for no beer sales
> in grocery stores on Sunday before noon. Texas is rapidly reaching
> into the 20th century with few dry counties remaining and even Dallas
> expanding the wet precincts last election.

Alcohol laws in the Bible Belt have traditionally been quite...er...
interesting. The worst I can recall was found in Oklahoma and later in
Utah, where there were no bars, only "clubs." In the "club," you'd pay
for membership for a small fee, which would then entitle you to a locker
and a glass. You were then free to purchase a BOTTLE of liquor at the
bar, pour it into your own glass and consume it on the premises. The
locker was for storing your opened bottle of liquor.

How this system was supposed to reduce alcohol consumption is beyond me,
since it encourages consumption by the bottle!

Mark Lipton