Posted to rec.food.historic
Richard Wright Richard Wright is offline

Default Recipe for Chop Suey, 1905

There is an interesting vignette of 'eating Chinese ' in New York in
1888. See

http://tinyurl.com/3d6m7l6

It gives the ingredients for shop suey, but not the recipe. Again,
Worstershire sauce substitutes for soy - of which the author evidently
did not know the name.