Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Need suggestion for no salt and extremely low salt recipes

On Sat, 21 May 2011 09:34:48 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Krypsis > wrote:
>
>> On 21/05/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> you have not read enough about the actual food just the chemical
>>> make up is only part of the equasion... and to me that is a lot of
>>> salt for someone who is salt sensitive... if you aren't salt
>>> sensitive it simply doesn't matter.... it is a food most cardilogy
>>> nutritionist warn against.
>>>

>> Do you have a cite for that?
>>

>> As Andy suggests, it takes a while to come to grips with the database
>> but I managed and I come up with the same results, effectivly, as he
>> does. Looking at the database, I found that 100 grams of raw celery
>> contains 80 mg of sodium. he used a cup measure but I suppose 100
>> grams = 1 cup since he came up with the same level of sodium in celery
>> as I did.
>>
>> Anyway, the upper measure I use (from www.saltmatters.org) is 120 mg
>> of sodium to every 100 grams of food. You simply scale this up to
>> however many multiples of 100 grams of food you eat in a day. At 80 mg
>> per 100 grams of food, celery is well and truly a low sodium food and
>> would be perfectly acceptable for those on a low sodium diet to safely
>> consume.
>>
>> As for the statement "just the chemical makeup is only part of the
>> equasion" (sic), If you eat 100 grams of celery, then you will also be
>> consuming 80 mg of sodium with that, no ifs, no buts, no wherefores.
>> Looks like a pretty simple equation to me.
>>
>> Your further statement, "to me that is a lot of salt for someone who
>> is salt sensitive", reflects your opinion only and not that of medical
>> professionals. Someone who is salt sensitive would cope very
>> satisfactorily on a diet limited to 120 milligrams of sodium per 100
>> grams of food. In fact, that is the level the medical professionals
>> will recommend.
>>
>> Krypsis

>Krypsis,
>
>I'll add, the chewing of celery results into what's called negative
>calorie intake, in that the physical chewing of celery uses up more
>calories than it's intake provides.
>
>Best,
>
>Andy

And there are thousands of other foods a doctor will suggest one
eliminate from their diet to lower salt intake long, LONG before
getting to celery. Nice crispy celery stalks is one of my favorite
low calorie snacks, but still I dunk each bite into a saucer of kosher
salt... eating celery sticks is sure more healthful than wolfing down
sticks of pepperoni