Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kitty[_3_] Kitty[_3_] is offline

Default Hot tips on food storing

On May 20, 5:38 am, emmy007 >
wrote:

> Everyday, we place some food into fridges. Actually, different food have
> different ways for storing.
>To keep fresh milk, you can add a little salt into it, boil
> it and put it in shade places. Boil it again before drinking. In this
> way, milk can be kept well for several days.
>
> --
> emmy007

well you're right Emmy, that's all preservation. a whole other
thought process than we usually think of as preserving.

What we're mainly trying to do when we do have a fridge for our milk
and perishables is how to keep them long term, months rather than
days. like Freezing foods, putting them up in jars and bottles, or
drying foods for a later date for instance. Even pickling, by adding
salt, vinegar, sugar or some combination to keep the food from
spoiling in addition to spices for flavor.

I'm going to try to dry meat as what we call Jerky, here in the United
States. later in the summer, I may be canning tomatoes in jars and
freezing other vegetables for winter use.