Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Need suggestion for no salt and extremely low salt recipes

On 21/05/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> you have not read enough about the actual food just the chemical make up is
> only part of the equasion... and to me that is a lot of salt for someone who
> is salt sensitive... if you aren't salt sensitive it simply doesn't
> matter.... it is a food most cardilogy nutritionist warn against.

Do you have a cite for that?

As Andy suggests, it takes a while to come to grips with the database
but I managed and I come up with the same results, effectivly, as he
does. Looking at the database, I found that 100 grams of raw celery
contains 80 mg of sodium. he used a cup measure but I suppose 100 grams
= 1 cup since he came up with the same level of sodium in celery as I did.

Anyway, the upper measure I use (from www.saltmatters.org) is 120 mg of
sodium to every 100 grams of food. You simply scale this up to however
many multiples of 100 grams of food you eat in a day. At 80 mg per 100
grams of food, celery is well and truly a low sodium food and would be
perfectly acceptable for those on a low sodium diet to safely consume.

As for the statement "just the chemical makeup is only part of the
equasion" (sic), If you eat 100 grams of celery, then you will also be
consuming 80 mg of sodium with that, no ifs, no buts, no wherefores.
Looks like a pretty simple equation to me.

Your further statement, "to me that is a lot of salt for someone who is
salt sensitive", reflects your opinion only and not that of medical
professionals. Someone who is salt sensitive would cope very
satisfactorily on a diet limited to 120 milligrams of sodium per 100
grams of food. In fact, that is the level the medical professionals will
recommend.

Krypsis