Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chemiker Chemiker is offline

Default Candied Ginger

On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:01:45 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 5/19/2011 7:48 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> It's time to experiment. I have been using a lot of candied ginger
>> lately. It is expensive to buy in the grocery store and even in the Bulk
>> Barn it seems to be a profitable item for someone in the system. I
>> decided to try to make some myself. I checked recipes online and things
>> seem simple enough. Every recipe seems to be different so there
>> obviously is not single precise method. Basically, you take nice fresh
>> ginger root, peel it, slice it, boil it for a while, add some sugar and
>> cook longer. When nice and tender, it is done. You can either leave it
>> in syrup o you can drain it and toss it in granulated sugar.
>>
>> The ginger cost me abotu $1, and probably about the same cost for the
>> sugar. It took less than 5 minutes to peel and slice and about an hour
>> of cooking time. It should an amount that would have cots $15-20 in the
>> store. What do I have to lose?

>People over here swear that ginger is a cure for seasickness. I've never
>tried it myself but that's what they say.

Right. Ginger has been listed as a carminative in the National
Formulary for many years, mostly during the 1st half of the 20th
century. (Haven't looked lately). Carminatives are stomachics, good
for settling the queasy stomach, whether upset for seasickness, motion
sickness, or for any number of other problems. You can get Ginger
Altoids and they work well, IMHO.

Alex