Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Candied Ginger

On 5/20/2011 9:03 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 20/05/2011 8:55 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I think we will give this a try - thanks for the idea.
>>
>> For any big fans of sweet ginger things, try a "ginger beer" - it's not
>> alcoholic, more like root beer. TJ's sells this and it's got tons of
>> ginger in it, too much for the kids but my wife and I both like it. I
>> think this a Jamaican thing, thus "Jamaican ginger beer" or Jamaican
>> style ginger beer is what to look for.

> I love ginger beer. I wouldn't say that it is too much for kids because
> I liked it even when I was young. My only problem with ginger beer is
> that it is so much more expensive than other soft drinks. While other
> pops are $x5-7per case, other than the $1.99 1.5 liter bottle, ginger
> beer is sold in 10 oz. bottles for .99 cents to $1.49.
>

> After I boiled the ginger slices in syrup I saved the syrup and mized
> some with cold water.... very tasty.

Perhaps mix the ginger syrup with soda water to simulate ginger beer,
which sounds like that'd be very good!!?? All that's been said about
candied ginger in this thread has inspired me to give it a try. Ginger
(1-plus pound) has been written on the list for the next venture to the
grocery store. A package of sugar also has gone on the list, also.
Soda water ("bubbly") is already on hand I'll use slow-cooker
recipe Goomba recently posted -- Thanks, Goomba! -- to make the
first-ever batch and see how that goes. Er, that is if my 1.5-quart
slow cooker is not too small! Although, I suppose the recipe's
ingredients could be reduced by half or by quarter if that is the case (?).

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!