Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] friesian@zoocrewphoto.com is offline

Default Need suggestion for no salt and extremely low salt recipes

On May 19, 5:19*am, Krypsis > wrote:

> Are there available alternative living arrangements whereby he could at
> least cook some basic meals? The only "easy" way he can maintain a
> healthy low salt diet without imposing on others is to cook his own
> meals from known fresh ingredients. Am I being presumptuous in assuming
> that he can cook, even a little?

Yes, but he won't accept them yet. We actually have a rental house
next door and the rooms are less than he is paying now. But he would
have to walk past two bad streets to get here. They aren't as bad as
they used to be. The drug dealers aren't on the corner anymore.
Anyway, he won't consider it even though he would have more space, a
full kitchen, etc.

> Basic stews are also good. Any meats can be stewed a little extra until
> they are well softened requiring little if any chewing. Enough stew can
> be made in one session to cater to a number of meals especially if some
> steamed vegetables or steamed rice is added to the meal. Variety is the
> key here. The stew may be the staple but the vegetables can be varied as
> desired.

I will ask him if he will let me make him stew. I'm sure the canned
stuff is high in salt, but I will check just in case. I can cook
anything in a crock pot and get it really soft for him. And I can
freeze servings to help with variety.

> That's a killer diet. I'm surprised he's reached 70.

He walks every day and is very active, so that is what has kept him
going.

> http://www.worldactiononsalt.com/awa...wareness_week_...
>
> You might find other items in the low salt cookbook that you will be
> able to prepare with a minimum of fuss.

I think he would like the curry, but it looked complicated. I will
look it over some more.

> His ideal salt intake will be a lot lower than you realise and, without
> imposing on others, it will be a practical impossibility under his
> current living arrangements. You would be doing him a real favour if you
> can get him into a situation where he can do some simple food
> preparation for himself. His motel lifestyle is not conducive to that.

Yes, I'm sure that right now, his goal needs to be just about zero.
I'm pretty sure the meal I made him yesterday was zero, as the cooks
didn't anything other than water to the stirfry. And it had steamed
rice and unsalted butter.

I will offer the room next door again, but he is very stubborn.

> http://www.saltmatters.org/site/

Thanks!