Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Help! Pizza Stone Burning Bottom of Pizza...

On Tue, 17 May 2011 05:03:41 -0500, Terry >
wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:25:22 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >I used to use cornmeal, then I switched to flour to see how that
> >worked. I couldn't find coarse ground cornmeal/polenta for a long
> >time, but I bought some and used it when I finally found it.
> >Conclusion: I prefer flour now.

> As I understand it, cornmeal is used solely to allow the pizza to
> slide from peel to stone easily, like tiny ball bearings. I don't
> care for the gritty texture of cornmeal---even after it's been baked
> it feels like sand to me--- so I switched to semolina flour. It's
> softer than cornmeal.

I actually like the crunch of coarse cornmeal, but flour works just as
well for sliding purposes. So, I can make multiple pizzas w/o needing
to brush cornmeal off the tiles to keep it from burning.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.