Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Why indeed

On 12/05/2011 1:11 AM, Pete C. wrote:

> Janet wrote:
>>
>> In >, says...

>> once
>>>
>>> I don't see how we possibly could. It's just not feasible. The way the
>>> streets are laid out here, people are just too spread out.

>> Works in London, Paris, Tokyo.

> Some of the highest population density areas in the world. Certainly not
> comparable to 90%+ of the US. The US cities that do have high population
> densities do have public transit, for the rest of the US public transit
> will never be viable.

Which is why the trend to urbanisation will continue apace. In this
country, small towns are shrinking rapidly. Many people who desired a
tree/sea change are currently rethinking their options as they are
finding services such as hospitals and schools are in decline in rural
areas.

I bought my house some 40 years ago purely because it had all amenities
locally and a commute to my place of work in the city 15 km distant was
possible. It is still possible now and there are more options available
to me.

Krypsis