Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Why indeed

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 11/05/2011 1:58 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>
> > It is crazy-making to me that when gas prices rise people begin to think
> > about buying cars with better gas mileage (i.e. smaller cars or hybrids)
> > but when the prices go down 50cents/gallon, the monster-mobiles
> > (mini-vans, SUVs, prestige sports cars) again fly off the car lots.

> It is amazing isn't it. Gas prices have been bouncing up and down a lot
> over the years, though they tend not to bounce down as far as they have
> been bouncing up. Ever time gas prices spike it is just like you say.
> Everyone wants a car with good mileage. As soon as they drop, people
> start buying the gas guzzlers.
>
> Need a pickup truck to move something?.... rent one once in a while.
> Need a pickup truck to bring home building materials one or twice a
> year? Some places have free delivery, free delivery over a certain
> amount, or a $25-50 fee. It's cheaper than driving a pickup to work
> every day and doing the weekly groceries.

Many of us use our trucks to haul stuff at least monthly if not weekly,
and our time is worth a lot more than the cost to use our own truck to
move things.

I own a large truck (two actually), for the small number of minimal
cargo trips such as the 6 mile round trip to the grocery store, the
extra fuel cost is negligible. For the small number of long trips with
no cargo needs I fly or rent a car. I for one have not been whining
about fuel prices, and indeed I'm seriously looking at buying a *larger*
truck as some of my transport needs are pushing the limits of my current
trucks.